Sunday 25 January 2015

Humiliation: The Washroom Incident

It was the last day of our exams, last fifteen minutes, to be exact. I could feel adrenaline and desperation(for exams to finally get over) in the examination room. I wasn't any exception. I  couldn't wait for the exams to get over, my head was stuck up. But my reasons were different. Where my classmates longed to run under the clear sky, finally free from studies; I longed to race to the ever so pathetic washroom in our building.


My bladder was bursting, literally. We are allowed to use washrooms between our exams, but scared that I might get time to complete my paper later, I managed to finish it.
Task one, Done.
The next obstacle was attracting the supervisors attention so I could ask her for the permission to use the washroom. See, I didn't want to walk in front of everyone for that. So I asked her to get me another sheet of supplement. When she came to my table, in a small voice I asked if I could go. She nodded (bless her!).
Task two, done.
Only task three remaining!
I almost ran to the washroom on our floor, just to find it locked. More than half of third year students had arrived for their next paper. Not good. Not good AT ALL. So next,fighting through the crowd of students, I ran-climbed the stairs to next floor, wishing atleast that would be open. But alas, it wasn't. Luckily, I found a janitor there.
“Please Open up the washroom”, I almost screamed at her.
“I cant, we are instructed to only open up the washroom only between 12 to 12.30pm.” She replied.
I looked at her in horror, disgust and anger. What The Fuck Was That! It was fifteen minutes away.
My paper got over at 12 and I wanted to go and solve some extra questions, because my original ones were not good enough. And I would actually pee in my pants if I were to wait.
After almost 5 minutes of shouting match with her in the corridor, in presence of curious by-standers, “Look,” I said menacingly, in a low, controlled voice, “I didn't leave my paper and come for this. Open. It. Now.”
No one messes with a full bladder. No One.
Boy, that did it.
She hurried off to get the keys. I closed my eyes trying to continue controlling. When I opened my eyes, right in front of me, was my first crush (he isn't now).  He and his friends had heard everything. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. That was, if I put it modestly, very embarrassing. He may not be my crush, but it doesn't mean he should have a idiotic image about me.
It was All in All, An incident that made me blush right from of my hairline to the tip of my toe nail.

Humiliation is a part and parcel of our teen lives. It is monster that we all fear to deal with; but at some point, it stands right under nose, so close enough that had it been a human being, it could just as well pluck our hair or only for the sake of fun. Had it been a human being, we could spank it away, but unfortunately, its not. Period. And since it’s a threat that’s never going away, we might do good if we learn to deal with it.
Dealing with Humiliation is tricky, but easy. Especially you get a knack of it. Most of our embarrassing situations turn out to be hilarious for others. Everyone enjoys a good laugh at  someone else expense. Even you. Also embarrassing stories spread faster than speed of Harry Potter’s Snitch. One of the few ways you can come out of this unscathed is:

   1)      You yourself be boasty (if that’s even a word) about it.
   2)      Make sure all your friends know it before other resources reach them. And when you tell the              story, tell it in the same manner in which you tell other persons stories.
   3)      Relish it.
    4)     Address yourself in it, but relish the incident as if other person has suffered from its side                      effects.

This may sound stupid to you, but when you accept (or pretend to accept, if you must) your not-so-perfect  side in front of all, it increases your respect in their eyes.
In the above incident, I had already embarrassed myself in front of half third year students, but before it that reached to my friends, I told them ‘A Hilarious Incident where I “Threatened a Janitor” and “Attempted to break down the Toilet door” and blah blah blah. The pointer is to make that incident as funny as possible. Turn it into more of a ‘Funny Story’ than  an ‘Embarrassing Incident’. Do this, and you’ll be viewed in good light and not in, well, dark, cold colors of embarrassment; Not just for that day, but long after that!



No comments:

Post a Comment